Enzymes are substances naturally present in all living organisms. They trigger or speed up thousands of chemical reactions in the body. For example, respiration, digestion, immune function, metabolism and growth. They work at the cell, tissue and organ level. Serrapeptase and Nattokinase are powerful enzymes which are used as systemic enzyme supplements. Systemic enzyme therapy has been used safely for more than 50 years by natural and alternative practitioners as a natural and effective way to support healthy levels of inflammation, help against infection, help in recovery after surgery and remove excess fibrin build-up in your organs and blood.

Research shows serrapeptase possesses significant anti-inflammatory, proteolytic (protein dissolving) and fibrinolytic (fibrin dissolving) properties. It reduces scar tissue, improves tissue healing and supports a healthy respiratory system.   Nattokinase has powerful anti-inflammatory and fibrin-degrading activity. It prevents and dissolves blood clots, promotes healthy circulation, and supports normal blood pressure. It also helps maintain healthy C-reactive protein levels (CRP). CRP is an inflammation marker and a serious risk factor for heart disease.

SerrapeptaseNattokinase
History of UseSerrapeptase is a protease that has been used in Japan and Europe for over four decades for its anti-inflammatory activity.Natto has been known for centuries for its positive medicinal properties, particularly for cardiovascular disorders. A researcher, Hiroyuki Sumi, identified the active enzyme in natto and showed its ability to dissolve blood clots.
Where do they come from?Serrapeptase was originally derived from a species of bacteria called Serratia mercesans, which is found in the intestine of silkworms. The bacteria produces an enzyme that enables the silkworm to dissolve its silken cocoon and emerge. Serratia is now grown in cultures and fermented to produce serrapeptase. Nattokinase is derived from natto, a traditional Japanese food made from fermented soybeans. To make nattō, soybeans are fermented with the beneficial bacteria Bacillus natto. During fermentation, the Bacilli produce protease enzymes, the most important of which is nattokinase.
What do they do?Both serrapeptase and nattokinase are widely known for helping the immune system respond to chronic or acute injury. These systemic enzymes act on protein-based complexes such as fibrin in scars around damaged tissue. Fibrin performs an important function in the body, including clotting and wound healing. However, excessive fibrin build-up in the body can impair normal blood flow which may lead to increased blood viscosity, swelling, edema, pain, inflammation and more serious cardiovascular problems. People with pulmonary fibrosis experience low oxygen levels in the blood and breathlessness due to excessive fibrin build-up in the lungs. This extra fibrin thickens and stiffens the lungs and blocks healthy oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange. This is why supplementing serrapeptase and nattokinase can help your body to relieve symptoms caused by too much fibrin build-up.
Research shows serrapeptase possesses significant anti-inflammatory, proteolytic (protein dissolving) and fibrinolytic (fibrin dissolving) properties. It reduces scar tissue, improves tissue healing and supports a healthy respiratory system. Nattokinase has powerful anti-inflammatory and fibrin-degrading activity. It prevents and dissolves blood clots, promotes healthy circulation, and supports normal blood pressure. It also helps maintain healthy C-reactive protein levels (CRP). CRP is an inflammation marker and a serious risk factor for heart disease.

Will Serrapeptase and Nattokinase cure your Pulmonary Fibrosis?

While the fibrinolytic activity of these systemic enzymes can help with scar tissue build-up and inflammation reduction, they cannot be considered cures for the disease. Mechanisms which cause uncontrolled scarring may remain in place despite the use of systemic enzymes. However, while conventional medicine has yet to find a solution to address pulmonary fibrosis (PF), systemic enzyme therapy provides hope.

What you can do to help in the fight against Pulmonary Fibrosis

We have a lot of anecdotal evidence showing the benefits of systemic enzyme supplements on symptoms associated with PF. People who take systemic enzyme supplements regularly, have noticed improvements – they say they cough less and are able to do more without feeling breathless. However, there is a lack of evidence from well-designed controlled studies showing the role of enzyme supplements in health promotion and PF treatment. At Pulmonary Fibrosis Now!, we are conducting research to study the effects of systemic enzymes on symptoms and other quality of life parameters in PF patients. We would like to invite people diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis to participate in this important research that may help you or other people suffering from PF.

56 comments
  • Victoria
    Posted on October 30, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Hello, I’ve been living with PF for 22 years
    I have been continuously searching for alternative treatments.
    Had serrapeptase years back .
    I will like to give it another trial .

• Neha
      Posted on November 8, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Hello Victoria, I have messaged you details of our research study and some forms you need to complete. Please review and complete the forms so we can determine if you are eligible to participate in this study. Thank you very much

• Georgi
      Posted on April 23, 2020 at 7:43 am

Hello, I have three pelvic surgeries, two varicocelectomies and one hernia when I was a baby. After the last varicocelectomy I started having pain and discomfort in my testicle and a few other symptoms that are similar to chronic pelvic pain syndrome. I think after so many surgeries on one place I have developed significant scar tissue and I have an awful range of motion. I started taking Serrapeptase a month ago and it made wonders for me I almost had my previous life back, till I had a huge flare up a few days ago. Whatt would you suggest doing now? I started taking two times two capsules 120,000 SPU with the idea I am overweighted 100 kilograms and maybe my scars there need more to be dissolve. Thank you for all that you are doing!

Posted on April 28, 2020 at 6:06 pm

Hello Georgi, I would recommend increasing your dose to 6 capsules a day, so you can take 3 capsules twice a day or 2 capsules 3 times a day of the serrapeptase while you are having the flare up. You can go down to the 4 capsules a day once your flare up subsides. Alternatively, you can add Serracor-NK to your regimen and take 1 capsule of the Serracor-NK twice a day in addition to the 2 capsules of Serrapeptase twice a day that you are currently taking. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon. Please let us know if you need any other information and would love to hear back from you about how the increased dosage is working for you.

• Aesop Lianos
    Posted on November 1, 2019 at 6:01 pm

I intend to try serrapeptase and would be happy to take part in your research. I have recently been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis

Posted on November 15, 2019 at 5:22 pm

Hi Aesop, we are very excited that you have enrolled to participate in our enzyme study!

• Patrick Hayes
        Posted on January 6, 2020 at 11:23 pm

I was diagnosed with IPF about one year ago and since then I’ve noticed an increase in symptoms including breathing difficulties and coughing. I’m becoming more dependent on oxygen. I did try OFEV for about 6 months and my pulmonologist discontinued it because of horrible side effects and severe weight loss. I read the IPF now articles in enzyme use and your research and found them to be hopeful. I did fill out a questionnaire to be in the study and I hope to hear from you soon to find out if I qualify.

• ASIF
    Posted on November 8, 2019 at 6:58 am

Is it necessary to use both serrapeptase and nattokinase or any one one can be taken?

• Neha
      Posted on November 8, 2019 at 4:19 pm

The enzymes serrapeptase and nattokinase can be taken on their own but when taken together, they do have powerful synergistic effects. So our recommendation is to use both

• Morgan Beatty
    Posted on November 12, 2019 at 9:20 pm

I’ve recently been diagnosed with IPF and would like information about participating in one of your studies

• Neha
      Posted on November 12, 2019 at 11:49 pm

Hi Morgan, thank you for your interest in participating in our study. Our current study is examining the effects of systemic enzyme supplements on symptoms and quality of life in people with pulmonary fibrosis. As part of the study, we are giving away a free three month supply of enzyme supplements to people with pulmonary fibrosis who qualify. This is the link to some information about the enzyme study : https://pulmonaryfibrosisnow.org/survey/ You can copy and paste the link in your browser. You can call us at 951-249-3054 or email us with any questions.

• Wendy
    Posted on November 14, 2019 at 8:32 am

Hallo Im visiting the pulmonary specialist with my mum next monday. Ive suggested these steps to her plus bone broth and bee pollen ( 82 years) but she listens to the Dr,s and although they help her medication seriously needs reviewed considering her weight. I decided 5 mins ago to get the specialist on my side if he would suggest taking nattokinase and serrapeptase she might listen. She could be talked into helping research Im sure of that.Could she possibly take part in your research?

Posted on November 15, 2019 at 5:12 pm

Hi Wendy, I’m sending you some details and documents via email for you to review. Once I get a little more information from you, I can let you know if she qualifies for the study. Her age is certainly not a barrier. Thank you for reaching out to us!

• myphysicalwellbeing
    Posted on November 15, 2019 at 9:47 pm

hi thanks for the information

Posted on December 13, 2019 at 5:21 am

You are welcome!

• Digsbee
    Posted on November 19, 2019 at 11:50 am

Does this have to be a heart issue for the study? What if a person had surgery on their colon for cancer And it never healed right leaving scarring and lots of pain? Can they do your trial please? Is it for Serrapeptase and Nattokinase?

• Digsbee
    Posted on November 19, 2019 at 11:51 am

Posted on November 19, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Hi, I’m sorry for all the pain you are going through. Our research study is specifically for lung fibrosis and the symptoms associated with it. However, Serrapeptase and Nattokinase have been shown to help with pain, swelling, inflammation and wound healing so if you’d like, you can try taking the supplements and see if they help. Please let us know if you need any more information.

• Tal
    Posted on November 30, 2019 at 10:43 pm

Hi.what brand do you use for your research.
    I need a recommendation for a good brand to treat uterine fibroids.

Posted on January 31, 2020 at 6:53 pm

In our current research study, we are using Serracor-NK from AST enzymes and Serra Rx from Biomedic Labs

• Joe D
    Posted on December 3, 2019 at 3:36 am

I’d like to participate in the study. My last doctor’s visit, my doctor said I had an abnormal EKG and advised to get further testing.

Posted on December 27, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Hello Joe, How are you doing? Have you got back your test results? Please write to us on fight@pulmonaryfibrosisnow.org or call us on 951-249-3054 and we can discuss details about the study and your participation.

• Andre Z
    Posted on December 12, 2019 at 11:03 pm

Hi ,
    I have just came across your article . Is it still open for new participants with PF, for your research?
    Thanks,

Posted on December 13, 2019 at 12:51 am

Hi Andre, Yes, we are still enrolling participants in this research study. I will email you some information about the study and then we can set up a time to have a phone call so I can explain it to you an answer any questions you may have.

• Steven Lander
    Posted on December 13, 2019 at 9:56 am

Hi, I was interested in using serapeptase but I do have some scar tissue on my heart which my cardiologist said was minimal at the time. My Dr says that serapeptase would cause my heart to fall apart because the scar tissue is holding it together. Does that sound right? I was really wanting to try it due to the fact that I am suffering from an acute condition of peyonie’s disease but now feel let down because of what my Dr has said.. cheers, Steve

Posted on December 27, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Hi Steve, there are differing views on the use of Serrapeptase in people with scar tissue on the heart. Some people/doctors say it is okay to continue taking it and other people are skeptical about continuing supplementation. Since Serrapeptase dissolves scar tissue in the body, it is logical that it would not “spare” the vital scar tissue on your heart. The use of proteolytic enzymes including serrapeptase has been widely discussed in people who have undergone cardiac ablation. This is a procedure which creates small scars on your heart tissue to treat irregular heartbeats. There does not seem to be any definitive answer to this question

• steven lander
        Posted on January 11, 2020 at 2:54 am

i have just been reading about German dr Hans Nieper who first discovered its use on heart scar tissue and cleaning plaque build up in arteries. i looked him up on Wickapedia and he was the real deal. my heart muscle has lost a small part of movement which would be from the scar tissue. i am always looking at ways to heal myself and would really like to believe that it could disolve the scar tissue. i found this information on a site that is promoting the sale of the serapeptase supplement which includes Dr Hans Nieper words on it. i would really appreciate it if you could have a look and tell me what you think. personaly i think there would be a lot of people with hearts falling apart if it was the case although i know Dr Google isnt always right but could they make such a claim to sell their product if it was to cause your heart to fall apart? the web site is ww. transformyourheart.com. i am looking forward to your reply. Cheers, Steve

• Mary
    Posted on December 25, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Have been diagnosed with IPF and would like to start on the systemic enzymes but not sure where or how. Live in australia.

Posted on December 27, 2019 at 4:37 pm

Hi Mary, thank you for reaching out to us. We are able to send the enzymes to Australia. Please look out for an email from fight@pulmonaryfibrosisnow.org with more details.

• Mandy Donaldson
    Posted on December 28, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Hi there
    I’m in New Zealand. Can I be part of your research study. I have been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease possibly caused by a collagen vascular disease or ibs. Thanks cheers Mandy.

Posted on January 31, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Hi Mandy, I have emailed you some details about our research study. Looking forward to your response. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your interest in participating in our study.

• Patrick Hayes
    Posted on January 7, 2020 at 3:26 pm

I’ve was diagnosed with IPF about 15 months ago. I’ve tried OFEV but my pulmonologist discontinued it because of severe weight loss and other side effects. I am very interested in being apart of your enzyme study. I did fill out a demographic form relating to the study but haven’t heard back. I live in Massachusetts.

Posted on January 7, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Please look out for an email from us with some study details

• Dave
    Posted on January 10, 2020 at 11:03 am

Hi there, I am based in Singapore and would like to have info on the trial for a loved one.

Posted on January 10, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Please look for an email from us with some study details

• Kim BANFORD
    Posted on January 12, 2020 at 11:36 pm

Hello we are in Canada & would like to have the products for my husband. He was just diagnosed in late Oct & by CT scan & just had a bronchoscope. He is 70 & has experienced pneumonia in the last 6 months. He coughs all the time & is at around 60% lung capacity very short of breath with little activity . We are just waiting to get home oxygen. He also suffers from acid reflux & hiatus hernia he is on a PPI. Would love to be in your study but if we can’t how can we get the supplements? Please help this is such a horrible diagnosis this IPF.

Posted on January 16, 2020 at 2:23 pm

Hello Kim, so sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis. We are able to send the supplements to Canada so if your husband qualifies, he can participate in our study. Please look out for an email from us with some study details and feel free to reach out with any questions

• Tell
    Posted on January 19, 2020 at 7:28 am

I’m interested in your study. I have chronic Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. I have taken Serrapeptase. I have just heard of Nattokinase.

• Tell
      Posted on January 23, 2020 at 10:55 pm

I didn’t get a response, so I’m reaching out again to see if I would be able to participate in the study? I have Sarcoidosis but I have scarring in the lungs.

Posted on January 31, 2020 at 5:40 pm

Hello, we have sent you an email with some study details and contact information. Thank you for your interest in our research study!

Posted on January 31, 2020 at 5:36 pm

Please look out for an email from us giving you study information. You can call me to further discuss your participation in the study. Thank you for reaching out to us.

• Stephen Gould
    Posted on January 21, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Hi, just found this site – IPF for 2 years, started on serrapeptase and would also like to participate in teh study. Haven’t started nattokinase yet.

Posted on January 21, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Hello Stephen, how long have you been on serrapeptase? Are you still taking it? Please look our for an email from us with some study details.

• Herta Ch. Razaq
    Posted on January 23, 2020 at 4:40 pm

My sister-in-law (73 years old) was diagnosed with COPD ca. Two years ago. She is not getting better despite of seeing her doctor regularly. Would she qualify to take part in this study? She lives in Germany.
    Kind regards,
    HertaCh. Razaq

Posted on January 31, 2020 at 7:01 pm

Hello Herta, I am sending you an email with some study details. Please have your sister-in-law review it to see if our research study is something she would be interested in participating. We can then set up a time to talk about more details. Thank you for reaching out to us!

• Sasha
    Posted on February 2, 2020 at 4:06 pm

Hello,
    Have you conducted studies or have any information on Nattokinase and or Serrapeptase impact on Dupuytren’s Contracture? I have read that these enzymes can help to minimize the effects of the disease. Thank you

Posted on February 3, 2020 at 6:26 am

Hello Sasha, we have not conducted any studies on Dupuytren’s contracture. However, Serrapeptase and Nattokinase are proteases with fibrinolytic effects so they are likely to help with any condition that has scar tissue buildup. Hope this helps.

• Donna Roper
    Posted on February 9, 2020 at 10:24 am

Hi I’ve just been diagnosed with PF and have started taking serrapeptase but not sure how much to take and also had never heard of Nattokinase and would be interested in being part of the study. I’m 54 and very lucky to have little symptoms at the moment. If you don’t feel I’d been suitable please could you give me some advice about what I should take so I could do it myself. Many thanks 😊

Posted on February 11, 2020 at 5:27 am

Hi Donna, thank you for reaching out to us. I need a little more information from you to see if you qualify for the research study. Please look out for an email from us.

• Linda
    Posted on March 4, 2020 at 4:16 pm

I’ve recently been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. Old scarring on lungs and lymph’s as well. Would I be a candidate for your study? Would Serrapeptase help me? I’ve been coughing since 2017, have had 2 Bronchoscopies and recent Mediastinoscopy. Looking for help other than what doctors are prescribing which is Predisone.

Posted on March 6, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Hi Linda, Please look out for an email from us with some study information

• Derek
    Posted on March 9, 2020 at 7:01 am

I had a blood clot right lung turned into a scar I’m in so much pain when I stop my blood thinners do you think this could clear my old blood clot ? It’s been 2 years now

Posted on March 10, 2020 at 4:16 pm

Hi Derek, sorry to hear about the pain you are going through. Serrapeptase and Nattokinase have been shown to have anti fibrotic effects and possibly clear blood clots. However, it is not recommended to take Nattokinase while you are on blood thinners as it can increase your risk for bleeding. Please consult with your doctor if it would be advisable for you to take enzyme supplements. Please dont hesistate to write to us if you need any more information or have additional quesitons.

• Loreen Yenglin
    Posted on April 15, 2020 at 8:49 pm

Thanks for this inspirational and very well written article.

• joanna Bennett
    Posted on May 21, 2020 at 12:11 am

I live in the UK, would i be eligible to participate in your study

Posted on May 22, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Hi Joanna, Yes, if you meet the other criteria, you would be eligible. Please look out for an email from us with some study details. Thank you for reaching out to us.